Mission and Purpose
The mission of this team shall be: to promote and uphold school spirit; to develop a sense
of good sportsmanship among the students: to better relationships between schools during all
athletic events; to serve as ambassadors of the university, and to be guided by the Benedictine values of Saint Leo University. Through the accomplishment of this mission, our spirit members will become strong athletes, bold leaders, and positive contributors to our community.
WORK HARD and HAVE FUN!
Saint Leo Cheerleading is comprised of two teams.
1. The Gold team will be comprised of approximately 16 men and women.
2. Gold Team cheers on the Lions:
a. at all home games for Men’s and Women’s basketball,
b. are in rotation for Men’s and Women’s Soccer games,
c. travel to select away games,
d. are in rotation for travel to post season games,
e. appear at events/functions on and off campus.
f. be in rotation for, women’s and men’s lacrosse games, tennis, cross country/track, and swimming.
g. May elect to be part of a smaller group that attends home baseball and softball games and cheers on the Lions for the Spring (Diamond Girls).
Green Team-All Girl:
1. Green team is comprised of 12 women.
2. Green Team will cheer the following:
a. home Volleyball games,
b. select home men’s and women’s basketball
c. be in rotation to travel to post season games
d. be in rotation for, women’s and men’s lacrosse games, tennis, cross country/track, and swimming.
e. May elect to be part of a smaller group that attends home baseball and softball games and cheers on the Lions for the Spring (Diamond Girls).
Academic and Eligibility Requirements
In order to be an active member of Saint Leo Cheerleading an individual must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
1. Be enrolled at Saint Leo for the 2017-2018 school year.
2. Have a minimum 2.4 cumulative GPA (2.0-2.399 probation).
3. Have no disciplinary action (academic or other) pending against them.
4. All team members must be full time students (12+ credits per semester, 6+ for online students).
5. Study tables at the Student Success Center are mandatory for all freshman and those team members with under a 3.0 GPA.
Practices and Conditioning
Practices are held 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours. All practices are mandatory unless an excused absence has been approved by the coaching staff. An electronic practice and event schedule is provided through our team app upon making the team.
Saint Leo cheerleaders are expected to attend strength and conditioning sessions twice a week in our fitness center. This is a requirement of the team to ensure proper strength and to prevent injury.